Monday, March 23, 2009

किस पर मुस्कुराऊँ ?

It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them. - Isabel Colegate


I'm not boasting, neither am I praising myself.....
But, an incident that took place in class today, compelled me to write this post.

Scene 1- I was good at writing and reading since the time I was a 3 +year old kid! I used to pose as though I was going to the school every day early in the morning. That was because I used to envy a little with 'Bhaiya , who was 5 class senior to me, well that was quite natural, smaller ones are attention seekers! At that time, there was a rule that only 4 year old kids would be admitted to the school. But, because I was over-enthusiastic to study, so I created my own school! I used to get ready with all story books, black slate board, pencil and copy in my small bag and rush to uncle and aunt in my neighbourhood. They both are professors of Zoology and my Papa's colleagues. They taught me alphabets, English Hindi letters, numbers and even sketching. Also, as a bonus, uncle used to narrate new stories everyday . There garden was like a playhouse and a paradise for me, I tried to remember the names of innumerable flowers and trees they had in their garden. It was the most beautiful phase of my life!
Not only this, I used to do my own 'sifarish' , by asking them to let me study in school as soon as possible. The sisters and teachers ,of the same school who were frequent visitors to the aunt's place laughed at my eagerness.
Scene 2- As a result, one day -I still remember very clearly, My mum was conversing with some guest about me that she is a kiddo and we've to get her admitted in school next year, so we've to teach her some basic alphabets etc. That guest of ours, then to while away the time, tried to teach me some क ख ग ... He gave me some time to write and I was through with both English and Hindi alphabets. Every one was astonished! Because, they thought that I didn't knew anything. Ha ha . Nevertheless, he predicted that I would be good at studies, and I was very happy hearing it.
Scene 3- I loved to experiment with words. Every week ,while I was in 6th or 7th, we were supposed to remember few new words, that was the time when I started to enhance my vocabulary . But here comes the 'smiling point'! While, trying to use some unusual,difficult words, I created some very embarrassing situations sometimes. Once , in class 7, I gifted a hand made greeting card to my best friend. We used to write good things inside the card, it was so fashionable then!So, I mentioned a word "ogress" , which according to me - I had read some where meant "veteran or a skilled person" . She kept the card with her and never said a word. Yet, she sulked all the time,and I never knew the cause! Then on 31st DEC of that year, she gifted me another card with words inscribed" this is a card with love, be it from an ogress"! O my God, its then I researched and found that ogre=a giant,' Shrek ' is a friendly giant! LO! I was dumbstruck! What have I done! I was so ashamed to say a word.
Scene 4 - One of my classmates enquired that when I've written so much about belief on God and such things on my blog, then why have I mentioned my religious view=atheist in my face book profile!
To hide my embarrassment, I replied , achcha ! have I written something of the sort? may be, I'm new to face book. :D
Although I never knew the difference. I believed that atheist= one who has faith on God and An atheist= opposite of the above.

Really embarrassing, but these were eye openers! Now , I vow never to use complicated and confusing words without knowing its true meaning.

1 comment:

Manu Dev Gupta / Gilly said...

:-) keep experimenting ...
Atheist and An atheist...quite hilarious..
and ofcourse the incident about Ogress... LOLZ :)